The use of alternative treatments in addressing various illnesses has become more and more popular today. Many are going to chiropractors because the services they provide are proven to be effective – with the help of alternative techniques.
Active Release Technique is one proven effective approach for physical ailments management. It is an alternative technique performed by chiropractors to address health problems. It has a number of benefits and some of these are the following:
- Safe – ART is non-invasive (in other words does not use any medical instruments into the body) so it is considered very safe; the procedure does not cause any side effect Since it is done in a natural way. Therefore, there is no reason to be anxious about any ‘after-effect’ just like what you can possibly acquire in a conventional procedure
- Affordable services – since all the procedures are done naturally, that means (generally) these services are more affordable than the conventional approach. While the conventional medical services are done in big facilities such as in hospitals, services from chiropractors can be done in clinics near you.
- Treats multiple conditions – while the procedure is natural, it treats a number of physical conditions such as problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Thus, related conditions are also addressed such as headaches, back pains, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fascilitis, as well as carpal tunnel syndrome.
How does an ART treatment is performed?
- An ART session is a combination of examination and treatment – so every time you go to a chiropractic clinic, you expect to undergo both of the process.
- The session – every session could take about 8-15 minutes in each area being treated. Note that a particular condition might need two to twelve visits before full functionality is restored.
- Treatment protocol – there are about 500 protocols and each of them is a unique treatment to ART; a chiropractor usually identifies and corrects the specific problem, which is affecting the patient.
So, have you tried going to a chiropractor? Have you tried undergoing any of the treatments above? If not, you might want to try it and be aware of its benefits.
Despite the rapid growth in the number of people/patients who are patronizing the services from chiropractors, there are still a lot around who are unsure on whether or not to try some chiropractic services and this is because of some misconceptions.
If you do a research on the Internet today, you will find the following reasons (misconceptions) deter some patients in availing a chiropractic care:
Chiropractors are not real doctors
There are patients who cast doubt on the capacity of chiropractors in addressing physical ailments because ‘they are not real doctors.” That conception is wrong. Chiropractors are professionals duly-licensed by the government. In fact, the degree that they hold is D.C., which stands for Doctors of Chiropractic. They received the necessary training on anatomy, physiology, biology, and related subjects as well as clinical experience on spinal manipulation and diagnosis during their study duration. (Checkout this related article published on the United States Department of Labor website: How to become a chiropractors)
Chiropractors can put risks to health
Another misconception this is. Well, though there is no such thing as 100% safe treatment – even those services given by expert medical practitioners employed in the biggest medical facilities in town – we can say that chiropractic services are generally safe. In fact, chiropractic is considered to be one of the safest drug-free, non-invasive treatments available; else, approval from the Government’s regulating body given to chiropractors is unlikely to be granted to them. Since chiropractors use only natural techniques, procedures definitely are a safe alternative to treatments given by conventional medications.
Chiropractic is not covered by insurance plans
Don’t be misled by this myth. The truth is, most health insurance plans cover chiropractic treatments. These include major medical plans, workers’ compensation, Medicare, and Blue Cross Shield plans for federal workers. In addition to that, chiropractic care is also available to active-duty members of the military at more than 60 military bases as well as to veterans at various medical facilities.
Chiropractic is not safe for children
Well, the truth is that chiropractic treatments are safe even for children and chiropractors encourage you to bring them to their clinic. Children, as we know them, are very physically active and encounter many types of injuries from various daily activities. Remember that chiropractic care can be designed so that it fits to a patient’s unique needs – and yes, including children.
Treatments to physical ailments provided by chiropractors are popular alternatives to conventional ways of addressing such conditions. These approaches are getting more and more attention for, aside from their effectiveness, they are done in a ‘more natural way’ and with the help of effective instruments.
One of the most popular tools used in chiropractic treatments is VibraCussor – an instrument that is designed to address conditions in muscles, ligament, and related myofascial conditions such as scar tissue/ muscle adhesions.
How does vibracussor work?
According to an article published on Kinetic Spine & Sports, a website that provides chiropractic treatments information and services (its doctor has a clinic located in Weddington, NC ), this “instrument delivers waves of percussive impulses deep into the tissues of the body and is very effective in releasing these various soft tissue conditions, increasing circulation and lymphatic flow”.
Common conditions treated with VibraCussor
- ‘Frozen’ shoulder – this is the stiffness and pain in shoulder, which symptoms usually begin gradually and get worse over time. This condition is also known as ‘adhesive capsulitis.
- Joint fixations – if a person experiences a change in the normal motion of a join in his/her spine or limbs, he / she, most likely, is having this condition.
- Myofascial restrictions – is caused by damaged fascia, a layer of fibrous tissue that has thickened and become sticky, causing the muscles to become restricted from free movement.
- Postural distortions – when the structural alignment of your body becomes distorted or misaligned; lumbo-pelvic-hip, lower and upper-extremity postural distortions are some example of this condition.
- TMJ problems – usually occur when there’s a problem in jaw muscles that is caused by some factors like the presence of osteoarthritis in the TMJ, stress, dislocation of the soft tissue, or even whiplash.
- Trigger points – Trigger points – according to the American Family Physician website, these are discrete, focal, hyperirritable spots located in a taut band of skeletal muscles,” which produce pain. Some symptoms might include tension headache, tinnitus, and temporomandibular joint pain.
There are two techniques that are used to address common physical ailments particulary physical injuries and these are the Active Release Technique and Kinesio Taping – both applied usually by chiropractors to their patients. But what really are the benefits of these two techniques? Let us tackle them one by one.
Active Release Technique - considered to be non-evasive, very safe, and has no side effect; it is a soft tissue system /technique that addresses problems in muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and nerves. Here are some of the benefits it brings:
- Increase flexibility – a patient who undergoes ART will have muscles that are more flexible, easy to stretch
- Increased muscle quantity – this helps a patient gets higher quality muscles, which is necessary to perform better and endure longer with less pain.
- Less injury – because of an increased muscle quantity and quality, it becomes more flexible and, naturally, helps prevent injuries from physical activities.
- Can cure various soft tissue conditions – tennis and golfers elbow, back and shoulder pain, whiplash, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, shin splints; can also be effective where adhesions have affected nerves such as in carpal tunnel syndrome.
Kinesio Taping Technique - this is applied on muscles to reduce pain and inflammation, and to relax overused muscles; it is a product designed to mimic human skin, which helps push injured muscles into proper position for movement; kinesio tape is a popular item utilized by athletes worldwide. It can be used in the following conditions:
- Ankle sprains – usually happen when you make rapid shifting movements
- Knee conditions
- Shoulder injuries – which is common in sports
- Whiplash – usually acquired in auto accident as well as in sports
- plantar fasciitis – an inflammation of the think tissue found on the bottom of the foot
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – a medical condition that causes paresthesia, pain, numbness, and other symptomsLower back and neck pain
- Tennis elbow – its medical term is lateral epicondylitis; causes recurring pain on the outside of the upper forearm, below the bend elbow.
- Patella tracking problems – commonly known as kneecap injury problem
- Pre and post surgical edema
The above two techniques have been proven to be very effective for various physical ailments, such as those injuries acquired from sports/game accident.
Note: For Kinesio taping, the tape can be applied to skin immediately after swelling has occurred; icing should be done over the tape you sticked.
There are more and more people who go to chiropractors to seek treatment for various ailments. The reason is not just because they are proven effective but because they are more natural compared to conventional medical treatment.
The following are some techniques by chiropractors:
- Active Release Technique - considered as one of the safest techniques in addressing problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and nerves. It is recognized as non-invasive, has virtually no side effects, and has proven effective results against soft-tissue problems. With this technique, a chiropractor usually incorporates specific exercises and gives postural recommendations for patients. He will also explain injury mechanism so that patient can avoid it in the future.
- Graston Technique - another effective approach popular for chiropractic treatment; just like the ART, this is also used for the diagnosis and treatment of soft-tissue injuries. This technique is particularly designed to detect and address/reduce pain and restore function.
- Flexion-Distraction - chiropractors employ this gentle, non-force adjusting procedure that works with body’s natural capacity to heal itself, specifically for proper healing of disc and joint related injuries.
- Laser Therapy - another popular chiropractic approach that is non-surgical and is proven effective to eliminate or substantially reduce pain. Usually, the patient just needs to undergo five to ten treatment sessions (every session just takes a few minutes) to realize life-changing results.
- Kinesiotape - this technique is employed to support and stabilize joints and muscles for both athletic conditions and problems that arise in our daily life. The tape used has unique properties that help activate the neurological and circulatory systems and promote appropriate venous and lymphatic flow.
- Orthotics - others call it insoles, or shoe inserts, which include techniques that are meant to correct foot posture and abnormal or irregular walking patterns. Contrary to common conception, orthotics are not only designed for foot posture but the entire body. Orthotics can help patients to have better foundation or flatform so that his body can work with less pain.
- The Pineapple Fitness Whole Body Vibration (WBV) System - this technique works by stimulating the natural flex reflex in muscles (the idea is to use the muscles to continually contract and relax). With this technique, the chiropractor employs various postures and positions on a whole body vibration machine. This technique has also positive effective on bone density.
There are more alternative options you can have from chiropractors – more than what have been mentioned above. So find ways to visit a local chiropractor in your area to learn more about the services he offers.
As you might already know, chiropractic treatment is becoming more and more popular today. In fact, in the United States alone, it ranks 3rd on the list of the most sought-after services – just behind the medical doctors’ and dentists’ services. The main reason is that this sector provides healthy alternative treatments for various ailments, including back pain.
But how do chiropractors treat address pains? What are their approaches? Some of their techniques are presented below:
Sympathetic laser simulation – this approach helps identify the root cause of the problem; Chiropractors believe that 80% of painful conditions are controlled by neurologic reflexes in the spinal cord. With the help of this strategy, pain reflexes can be reset.
Addressing six specific interferences – Chiropractors help patients by addressing six specific interferences that can cause pain and dysfunction in the body. Among these, structural interference, according to chiropractors, is involved in approximately 80% of painful conditions. As opposed to medical doctors’ approaches, Chiropractors do not numb the effect of the pain with narcotics and other conventional medications.
Examines other causes – aside from structural interferences, chiropractors also make thorough examinations to determine if there are other causes of pains. For example, a patient’s past injury can also be a cause of an ongoing pain. They also look check if the patient has nutrient deficiencies, food allergy, toxicities, and emotional stressors – issues often neglected by medical practitioners.
Chiropractors’ implement non-toxic, gentle approach – one clear disadvantage of conventional medications for back pains is the side effect – chiropractors recognize this constraint and work to make their own approach more natural, eliminating common side effects, which can potentially cause more trouble in the future.
Tips in choosing a chiropractor
As I have mentioned above, chiropractic alternative treatment services have become more and more popular today. Because there are lots of chiropractors around, it is important that you are able to choose the best in town. To do that, you need to consider these important tips:
Review – doing prior reviews can be a great help to determine if your prospective chiropractor is worth it. Reading what other people are telling about him – both online and offline – can give you useful idea on its capacity to provide good quality services.
Examining the reputation – try to check his background to scale the level of his reputation. With this, you might want to ask the following questions – has he received awards in the past for his services? How about complaints – has he received any? If he has received many complaints in the past, then you have a substantial reason to think twice before you avail for his services.
Chiropractors provide an alternative, safe treatment for patients who are suffering from muscoloskeletal system problems or conditions affecting the locomotor system of our body.
According to statistical figures released by International Chiropractors Association, there are about 60,000 chiropractic care providers (1 per 2875 citizens) who are in active practice in the United States today, the second-largest primary health care profession in the country. And these figures is seen to continue to grow in several years to come.
Why chiropractic industry continues to thrive?
The question that you might have in mind right now is: what’s the secret why this industry continues to thrive? Well, the answer is quite simple: because there are a lot of people patronizing chiropractic services as they are considered a good alternative to conventional medical treatment.
So, why many people consider chiropractors a good alternative? The following are some compelling reasons why…
- The approach is holistic - the chiropractic approach to health is holistic; it does not only provide help for those people who are suffering from chronic neck or back pain but it also helps people achieve healthier lifestyle through health education. When you visit a chiropractic clinic, you can expect that you receive not only treatment for pain or injuries but valuable health coaching as well (e.g. healthy foods to eat, the best exercise and nutrition for your unique condition, self- discipline, etc.)
- Inexpensive – because the treatment is natural, it can be a lot cheaper compared to the usual treatment you get from a medical doctor. There is no need to buy prescribed medicines and / or to undergo laboratory operation to address your medical needs.
- Treatments are natural - another reason why many people go for chiropractic treatment is the fact that it is natural. In other words, patients who seek this alternative approach to treating health conditions can avoid the side effect of medicines, which is especially common in conventional treatment.
- Effective in many diseases and conditions – while chiropractors are widely popular for their effective management techniques for chronic neck and back pain, they actually provide help more than that. Aside from neck and back pains, they also help many other medical issues such as Sciatica, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Migraine and Tension Headaches, High blood pressure, Sleep disorders, Repetitive Stress Disorders, Stress and Tension Disorder, Fibromyalgia, Bursitis, Arthritis, Chronic Injuries – among other conditions.